Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Year in Review

In just over a week, it will be my 1 year anniversary for my blog.

I'd like to share a few highlights of the past year.  I've linked to the blog posts, just click the date to take yourself to that post if you wish to read it.

March 27, 2011 - I began this blog, in hopes of loosing 100 pounds in one years time.

April 23, 2011 - I registered for the 2012 Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon!  Last day to use my Disney Debit card discount and also before the first price increase.

June 9, 2011 - I start running outside, taking a giant step backwards in my C25K training.  Going from week 7 back to week 3 due to the difference in running on the treadmill-o-doom and pavement.

July 26, 2011 - I've been running outside for a while now and I've been making steady progress.  During our reunion, I take a run out in the country and enjoy some "country air".  AHEM.  I'm right at the boarder of getting past the 250 lb mark.  [Disappointing that I've recently hit that mark again.]

August 20, 2011 - I've made it through the C25K Program!  I reflect a bit about my journey so far and Dad has pretty much thrown in the towel on our competition.

August 30, 2011 - It's the end of our contest.  This is my post right before heading down for my Florida vacation.

September 25, 2011 - After a long absence of not blogging, I return with a vacation recap and discuss the vacation and a little weight gain while away.

October 15, 2011 - This is it!  Half Marathon Training begins!  I note that I've run through my Brooks Adreneline GTS 11's!

November 26, 2011 - According to my stats page through Blogger, this is one of my most viewed posts!  My new Asics 2160's presented a challenge in the lacing department.  I discuss how I had to learn to tie shoes over again to make them more comfortable!

December - In preparation for the Half Marathon, I experiment with a bunch of runner fuel packets, mainly from CLIF, Gel Packs.  Also I continue my upward trend in weight.  Pretty much about where I've been holding on to ever since.

January - The Half Marathon Recap! - After posting about my journey, I kinda fall of the face of the Earth for a few weeks.  I don't do anything as far as running, but I keep maintaining a steady weight.

February and March so far have been fairly uneventful.  After weeks of flirting with it, I once again hit the 250 lb mark.

Which brings us to NOW.

I'd like to welcome you to Year 2 of my 1 Year weight loss program!

For Year 2, I have 3 major running goals:

1) I have to enter and do very well at a 10K or longer distance for a better corral placement for next years Walt Disney World Half Marathon.
2) I will also be entered into the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon for November.  I want this to serve as a gauge on how well I can perform a couple of months later at the Disney World Half.
3) This time around, I'm going to enter the 5K race on 1/11/13 AND the Half Marathon on 1/12/13 for Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend.

It's time to re-commit to being serious about getting the rest of this weight off.  My next target is a 40 lb weight loss by the time I run the Monumental Half at the beginning of November.  That is still short of the 100 total that I want to loose, but it's a target that I KNOW that I'm able to hit.  I've already lost 40 lbs once!

November 3, 2012 Target:  210 lbs!

The next target will be for the 2013 Disney World Half Marathon, I want to make it through the holiday season, actually DROPPING 10 lbs!  This will prove to be somewhat difficult, as I'll have a Florida vacation at Thanksgiving time.

January 12, 2013 Target: 200 lbs!

I'll have some big hurdles to overcome this year.  Money is going to be tight, VERY tight.

I need new tires and re-alighment work done on my '04 Sebring Convertible.  With the alignment being off, I've been tearing through front tires.  I had just been buying re-treads to get me by.  Okay for driving while the weather is good, not so good when it gets snowy and icy.  This may not happen this year, as I was originally going to use tax returns to do this this year.  Due to circumstances, it didn't.  So, my convertible remains something I only get to drive a little bit during the year.  I need to at least get a new set of re-treads for the front again so I can drive it a little bit during the nice weather.

My '04 Sebring Convertible
I need a new muffler on the '00 Malibu, this one will come first because this is usually my travelling car.  It's also been my normal day to day car due to the Sebring being in questionable shape.  The Malibu may look rough on the outside, but it's a comfortable car to travel in and still runs well.  Just a bit noisy at the moment.

I'll need to pay for these races I'm entering into AND manage to save back some money to actually be able to travel.  I also figure that at the rate I went through my shoes last year, I'll need at least one more pair this year.

I want to visit friends in the DC area very badly this year.  I missed seeing them last year so much.  So there is this trip to also pay for, whenever we decide this will be.

If I cannot find a great deal on airline flights like I did for this years Marathon Weekend, I'm looking into the possibility of driving down.  I can make it from home to Disney in about 18 hours.  A doable drive for me.  I've already figured out the make/break point for flying versus driving.

On top of all of this, there are of course new toys I'd like to get.  One of them being a GPS watch (Garmin Forerunner 405cx), why?  Because I think it's cool.  I really like the Polar watch I have for Heart Rate, but the Garmin has that plus GPS.  Now that I have the new iPOD Nano, it would be nice to clip that on my hat like I've seen others do and cut down on more clutter while I'm running.  The 405cx is now a few years old and can be had for much cheaper than it originally was when I was looking at it last year.  This is a doubtful purchase, just a wishlist item.

Another toy I'm looking at getting is a new transmitter for my iPhone/iPOD.  I lost the one I used to have when we moved down here to Indy.  I'm going to cancel my subscription to Sirius/XM to save a few dollars this year and I'd like to return to listening to podcasts that I get.  This toy is what I'm more likely to get, as I'll probably use the $40 from what would have been my next Sirius/XM payment to get this instead.

So there it is.  Where I've been the past year and where I'd like to go for the next.

Thanks for Reading!  Regards,


~Kipp




Lighter, Stronger & Faster for 2013!
Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon - January 7, 2012 FINISHED 3:48:49

1 comment:

  1. What a journey you've been on!

    You have some awesome goals and I have no doubt that if you stick to your plans you'll be able to do it.

    You'll do fine with the 5K and then Half in January. Treat the 5K as a warm up run and then do the half the way you planned and it's no big deal at all :)!

    ReplyDelete