Sunday, December 29, 2013

Accountability - the original purpose of my blog.

Doctors Orders

Doctor wants me to strive for a 1200 calorie a day meal plan.  So, in order to be more accountable, I'm working on actually coming up with ACTUAL meal plans!  Divide that by 3 meals a day and we're looking at aiming for 400 Calories per meal.

Lets take a look at today!

Breakfast

 Sasuage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle
Theirs
Mine
Serving Size (oz)
7.1
7
Calories
550
387
Calories from Fat
280
147
Total Fat (g)
31
17
% Daily Value
48
26
Saturated Fat (g)
12
5
% Daily Value
61
23
Trans Fat (g)
0
0
Cholesterol
265
233
% Daily Value
89
77
Sodium (mg)
1320
1095
% Daily Value
55
47
Carbohydrates (g)
48
36
% Daily Value
16
12
Dietary Fiber (g)
2
1
% Daily Value
9
3
Sugars (g)
15
13
Protein (g)
20
22
Vitamin A
10
21
Vitamin C
0
0
Calcium
20
19
Iron
15
14

So, one of my guilty pleasures when we travel is that I will throw diet out the window and grab something from McDonalds.  For breakfast, that would be TWO of the bad boy Sasuage, Egg & Cheese McGriddles.  I LOVE those things, and I'm sure that when I was on the road a lot for my job, many pounds put on were due to consuming these McCrack filled items of badness.

So here is step one of "slimming" down this beast of a breakfast sandwich.  This was very simple, as most of this recipe are still store bought items.  I'm sure I can get this slimmed down even more, but even this is a big improvement over the "real deal."

The pancakes I used were De Wafflebakers Maple Pancakes.  These were remarkably "similar" to the McGriddle cakes from McDonald's.  They're thinner, but larger in diameter.  The size was PERFECT for how the sandwich turned out.
As close to the McCrack version as you can get.
In the future, I'm planning on switching this out with ones that I make.  I'm looking to buy a Pancake mix that is well liked by many people that is sugar free.  I just need to find the mix locally.  If I cannot, I'll get it online.

The Sausage has been replace with a Turkey breakfast sausage from WalMart.
This is the look of the old package.
One Medium Grade A egg "scrambled" with just a dash of 2% milk.
Picture of eggs I grabbed from the 'net.
I spray the "pan" first.  Then I put the egg mixture into my Nordicware Microwave Eggs n Muffin Breakfast Pan first, then place the frozen sausage patty on top of the egg(s).
Nordicware Microwave Eggs n Muffin Breakfast Pan
For under four bucks at WalMart, this thing has been a great investment.  It works great for building your own breakfast sandwiches.  If you don't put sausage or Canadian Bacon on top of the egg(s), I highly recommend spraying the top of the pan too.  The egg(s) will puff up huge.

I cook the egg & sausage for 1:15 and it comes out great.  I then toss the 2 pancakes into the micro in a napkin for 0:45.

I changed up the cheese a little bit, and went with something a little spicy.

I put the egg/sausage onto one of the pancakes, put the cheese slice on and then top it off with the other pancake.  I left it sit for about a minute, to let the cheese turn into the molten lava experience you get with the McCrak McGriddle version.

The cheese slice is another area where I can slim things down, I know.  These Velveeta slices may be 45 calories, but they are 1/3 of the sodium for the whole sandwich!

I also had a small glass of Simple Orange - With Pineapple 100% Juice.

And, Voila!  I forgot to take a picture of it, I'll make another tomorrow and try to remember to get a photo of it.  It was good.

Total: 502 Calories.  102 Over goal of 400.  The sandwich itself is under the 400 Calorie goal though!  This will need work.

I have another breakfast sandwich that I will be alternating this with.  When I have that one, I'll post the information on it too.

Lunch

PB&J, baby carrots and iced tea.  

Growing up, this was a staple brown bag lunch for me.  I love me some PB&J's!

I've switched to Healthy Life bread here.  It's 35 Calories per slice and actually tastes like bread, not a slice of cardboard.  It's 16 Carbs, I don't pay any attention to the "net carbs" silliness.  Carbs are still carbs to my body.  So, 16 Carbs it is.  Still, for 2 slices of bread, it's still way better  than the "normal" bread.

The PB is Great Value Natural.  No savings here.  The calorie cost of the PB is more than the bread!

The J is Smuckers low Sugar Strawberry.  It's a bit weak on flavor.  I'm trying the Grape one next.  

Then, standard baby cut carrots as a filler.  Normally, I'd have 2 sandwhiches.  Using the carrots as filler really cuts down on carbs for me.

Total: 220 Calories.  180 Calories under the 400 Calorie goal.


Dinner

Last of our Christmas Dinner leftovers.  Beef Roast, Mashed Taters & Gravy and Green Beans.  My calorie total is my best guess.

Total: 413 Calories.  

How the Run Went

I mustered out 4 miles on the Treadmill-o-doom.  Pace SUCKED... but that was to be expected.  17:15 min/mile was what I paced at overall tonight. Considering I haven't run more than 3 miles since December 6th and November 15th before that.

The ankle doesn't feel any different that it has for the past week, so I'm hoping that's a good sign!

Taper?

While I read about everyone else tapering down for the race in a couple of weeks, here I am trying to get my miles up!  I'm going to attempt to get a small run done in the morning and then get some stretching and some more Treadmill-o-doom miles in during the evenings.

I want to get some practice in just walking at a 16:00 pace so that I know what that feels like so I can fall back on it as a last gasp measure.  Time to hit the shower and get ready for bed.  Going to  get some Stick time in on the legs before I hit the sack tonight.



Thanks for Reading!  Regards,
~Kipp

Going THE distance in 2014!
Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon
January 7, 2012-  FINISHED 3:48:49
January 12, 2013-  FINISHED 4:00:29
Indianapolis Monumental 1/2 Marathon
November 3, 2012-  FINISHED 3:37:29
Cincinnati Flying Pig 1/2 Marathon
May 5, 2012-  FINISHED - 3:32:27 PR

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Jimmy Dean D-Lites breakfast sandwiches? They are pretty good and under 300 calories each. They have ham, egg cheese muffin or ham, egg, cheese croissant or sausage, egg, cheese muffins. I think I even saw some new ones with maple muffin or something (not sure as I don't care for those). Just a thought and it would help cut the calories a bit more.

    I too am striving for 1200 - 1500 calories a day. Need to get the fruits and veggies back in to the diet :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've had the D-Lites and I'm just not that fond of them.

      Egg Beaters instead of a real egg will bring it down another 50 Calories. I'm looking for Bordon's Cheese Slices that will knock it down another 15 calories. If I can find the pancake mix I'm looking for, that should bring it into the range I'm hoping for.

      I'm looking for Maple Grove Farm's Sugar Free Pancake and Waffle Mix. I'm checking out a store tomorrow that is on their list of places to buy it.

      Delete