Saturday, July 2, 2011

Update

Well, the back situation didn't improve so I got in to see the doc.


I wasn't able to get in Wednesday, but they got me in at 11:30 on Thursday.  By that time my back had settled down quite a bit, but I still had a few pounding pain issues.

She of course first scolded me for not having gotten my blood work done yet; I knew that was coming.  Then we started into my symptoms.  I explained in the most details that I could of what the pain felt like and where it was.  She checked my back over and found many very sore spots.

She confirmed that my spasms were definitely coming from the musculature on both sides of the spine in my lower back.  Doc says she still cannot believe that my muscles get so tight.

I also then let her know that I've taken up "running" and am working on the Couch to 5K program, with a goal of doing the Disney World 1/2 Marathon in January.  She encourages me that I CAN do it and gives me some specific stretches and a yoga pose(!) to add to my routines, so we can hopefully not run into another incident like I've been in this past week.  She tells me that when I was doing some work Monday, I probably lifted/twisted my back and combined with the fact that I'm running and not as flexible as I should be is what did me in.

So, by the end of the appointment, I'm now on some super anti-inflammatory with steroid (10 days) and muscle relaxants (as long as the other, and then as needed basis).  I need to hold off on trying to run again for another day or so, until I can get some of these back muscles to loosen up more.

I've been hearing my back do some snap-crackle-pop the past couple of days, so I know I'm starting to loosen back up down there.  Thankfully no more pounding pain I was in before!  Those muscle spasms suck!

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you all know (all 6 of you that read this I think :) what has been going on!

Thanks for Reading!  Regards,

~Kipp

Running to 2012... and BEYOND!
Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon - January 7, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment