Sunday, October 23, 2011

Week 2 - Half Marathon Training

Dad & I at Magic Kingdom 9-3-2011
In 11 more weeks, I'll be running down Main Street (in the picture above) in Magic Kingdom, taking a right hand turn into Tomorrowland, left around into Fantasyland to come through the Castle at just about the 1/2 way point of the 2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon!

Week 1 of my Half Marathon training went okay.  I held steady at 245# for the 2nd week in a row.  I seem to be having a much harder time now getting weight off.  Inches are coming off, but not so much the overall weight.  Now that I'm stepping up to being active almost every day of the week, I'm hoping that next week will start to see some more weight coming off.
Mondays run was outside & very chilly.  Tuesday and Wednesday I ran on the POS Treadmill, it actually worked.  Tuesday and Wednesday was very cold and raining, so I braved the Treadmill.  Wednesday I cut the run a bit short.  I had planned on 1/4 Mile warm up walk/3 Mile Run/ 1/4 Mile cool down.  My left hamstring decided that it really didn't like running 3 days in a row and let me know it.  So rather than risk injury, I cooled off and just had a total mileage of 3 instead of 3.5 total.
Saturday is my long run day for the week.  I could really tell that I once again didn't drink enough water Friday and Saturday.  After the 1st mile, my left hamstring once again started letting me know it was there.  So I decided to stop and try a little bit of stretching.  It seemed to help, for about 1/4 mile.  So I wound up Run/Walking the 4 miles Saturday evening.  I did do a 1/4 Mile warm up walk, 4 Mile Run/Walk, 1/4 Mile cool down walk.

Links to my RunKeeper logs for my running days for Week 1:

Monday     Tuesday     Wednesday     Saturday

Now it's on to Week 2!

Week Sun Mon Tue Wed Thurs Fri Sat
O-11 10/23 10/24 10/25 10/26 10/27 10/28 10/29
2 Stretch &
Strengthen
3 M Run 2M run
Or Cross
3 m Run +
Strength
Rest 30 Min
Cross
4 m Run

Week 2 is pretty much a repeat of Week 1.  Once again, I'll be doing the 2 Mile run on the Tuesday Run or Cross training day.

Per this training schedule, the long run in week 6 is recommended to enter a 5K race.  It so happens, that there will actually be a 5K being held in the Indy area at that time.  I'm looking into possibly entering into it.  I have several weeks to think about it before the entry fee goes up.  The need for new shoes and paying the remainder of my room for the 1/2 Marathon in January may dictate that I'll not be able to afford entering into any other races right now :-( 

Thanks for Reading!  Regards,

~Kipp



Running to 2012... and BEYOND!
Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon - January 7, 2012 

No comments:

Post a Comment