Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oh what a night...

Okay, since last week I've slowed things down a bit after the Psoas muscle incident from last Thursday night.


I took it easy over the weekend and skipped my normal Saturday or Sunday run.  I felt like I was cheating.


Monday night I started working on my normal running stretches and some Yoga poses that are supposed to be beneficial for that muscle group.  (Warrior Pose 1 is one of them).  The DVD I bought is for starting people and assumes that you're not a super bendy Yoga person already.  It starts the poses off very basically, so they don't look exactly like those videos you see all the time.


Tuesday night I was feeling pretty good, so I decided to get on the treadmill-o-doom to see how things felt.


I did 1 1/4 miles with some jogging and walking mixed up.  After being warmed up, I then did my normal running stretches and more practice at the Yoga poses.


One thing starting to attempt these Yoga poses is that I'm finding that my balance pretty much sucks!  But these exercises should also help with that little problem.  I could definitely tell afterwards that some muscles were like "uhh... what are you DOING?"


Now on to tonight.  It was a VERY nice night out tonight, so I decided that I was going to go ahead and attempt a run outside.


WOW!  This was even my overpass route!


IntervalsPace (min/mi)Elevation (ft)
5:00 (warmup)17:162
0.75 mi (steady)13:50-0
0.25 mi (slow)17:11-0
0.75 mi (steady)16:00-2
0.25 mi (slow)17:24-1
0.75 mi (steady)15:473
0.25 mi (slow)17:28-1
0.75 mi (steady)15:30-1
0.25 mi (slow)19:201
5:00 (cooldown)20:14-1

Oh my!  That first 3/4 mile, I don't know what was going on!  It definately didn't feel like I was going that fast!  It wasn't a fluke of RunKeeper Either, as my HR watch has similar pace times!


The only thing that really got me tonight was my water/drink mix bottle developed a leak.  It really didn't upset me, as this was a cheap $.98 bottle that I got at Wal*Mart last year.  I'm actually impressed that it lasted this long!


Since I didn't want to push it tonight, I didn't listen to the music I had been practicing to last week.  The ONLY thing I worked on tonight was keeping my arms moving.  I'd notice that I'd be slowing down alot and I'd concentrate on keeping my arms going.  Other than that, I just felt a little stiff when I started out, but once I warmed up everything just seemed to click together tonight.


Now on to other bits.  Yes, I've been avoiding the weight check-ins.  I've been hovering right at 249 for what seems like weeks now (probably has been).  Today...  246!  ZING!  I was shocked!


One of the reasons I hit the scale today was several people had made comments or questioned this week if I had done something different.  So, here it is, I've also added a picture update tonight!  (yes, I KNOW my mirror needs to be cleaned... it's streaked so BAD!)




April 19, 2012
I don't see anything different myself, other than I REALLY need a haircut.  But I see myself every day.


Someone in my extended family shared the following picture on Facebook that I found to be really cool at the time :)





Weatherman says that we're going to cool back down again this weekend, so I'll see when I'll get a run in this weekend after I find out how I feel tomorrow after tonight's run.



Thanks for Reading!  Regards,
~Kipp

Lighter, Stronger & Faster for 2013!
Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon
January 7, 2012-  FINISHED 3:48:49

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on a couple of awesome days. Sounds like you're doing just great. Glad things are coming together for you.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started doing yoga a few months ago! I am not at all a bendy person, but I am still amazed at how much it has helped my running. It makes me feel stronger somehow. Yoga has been quite a pleasant surprise :-) Congrats on the 3lbs!

    ReplyDelete