Sunday, January 22, 2012

Marathon Weekend Trip Report - 1/8/12


1/8/12 - OUCH!  Back to the Parks


I got up somehow and got ready for the day.  I think better living through chemistry helped a lot in how I felt this morning!  I took a muscle relaxer before going to bed  the previous night and I slept very soundly.  Once I got though the shower and dressed, I really wasn't feeling as bad as I thought I would.  Sure, I was sore, but it could have been worse!


Dad let me know that he and my Step-mom were going to go ahead and go back to Naples that Morning instead of going into any of the parks with me.  Dad had to be back to work on Monday and had some things he wanted to do back at home.


We had breakfast at the Pop Century food court and was I ever HUNGRY by this time.  Even though I had eaten a lot for dinner, I felt like I could eat everything in site!  I chose the big breakfast, the Bountiful Breakfast.  This was my normal breakfast any other time I'd be visiting Disney World.  Each resort has one variation of this breakfast.


Once I saw Dad and my Step-mom off, I headed to the buses.  Which park do I want to go to??   Off to Magic Kingdom I go!  Yes, I know I was just there the day before, but I wanted to walk around the Kingdom with my shiny medal today!






I really didn't do a lunch at Magic Kingdom.  I kinda just snacked a lot.  I had an Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich in Liberty Square.  It was VERY good.  The Cast Member made a mistake, and had made it with Vanilla.  So he left the Vanilla on and just added the Peppermint Stick Ice Cream on there too!  






Rides: Jungle Cruise, Enchanted Tiki Room, Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad,  Haunted Mansion, Walt Disney World Railroad.  


New Experience!  I tried out the early public testing of the new game at Magic Kingdom.  It's called Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.  You start at the former Fire Department on Main Street.  You receive 5 cards and a map.  You go through a short "training" mission and you are given your first spot to find in the park.  The screen will show you a symbol that you will find on the map.  You head to that spot and use your key card to open the portal.  You watch a short video and battle a villain by holding up one of the 5 cards you received.


Sign at the Fire House on Main Street
One of the Portal Locks, use your key card on it.
Stand in the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom circle to interact with the portal.
This is one of the portals.  Once activated a video will play in the window.
The map, trading cards and key card.
I did 3 series of adventures, one in each land of Adventureland, FantasyLand and Liberty Square.


I decided that I wanted to have dinner at one of the quick service counter at one of the World Showcase Pavilions at Epcot.  So I left the Magic Kingdom and took the Monorail over to the Ticket and Transportation Center to get onto the Monorail to Epcot.






Once in Epcot, I began to try and figure out which pavilion I was going to try.  I'd been to the UK quick service MANY times before, so that one I put off the list right away.  Last September, I had lunch at the Morocco Pavilion, scratch that one.  I finally decided to try the remodeled Japan Pavilion quick Service.


On my way around to go to the Japan Pavilion, I of course stop by to listen to Off Kilter at the Canada Pavilion.  Since the Beatles tribute band is gone from the UK Pavilion, Off Kilter has become my favorite live entertainment to visit.  Obviously.






Katsura Grill is the name of the quick service at the Japan Pavilion.  I decided to get one of the sushi combos, Spicy Tuna Roll and Tsukemen Salad and a Matcha Roll for dessert.  The Matcha roll is Green Tea cake and what I believe to be red bean paste in the roll.


The Tsukemen Salad is noodles, lettuce and some shredded crab meat.  The dressing on it was very good too.


The Spicy Tuna Rolls were also very good.  Once I had eaten all of that, I was quite unsure how to tackle the Matcha Roll with Chopsticks!  I decided to take the chopsticks and squeeze them together as to "cut" the cake into smaller pieces.  I did a little research later and found that I was fairly right in doing it this way.  I try to learn about etiquette, as I don't want to be offensive.


My picture has a bit of an etiquette error, how I've rested my chopsticks.  They should have been together at least and back in or on the paper they came in, since I had no chopstick rest.  



Dinner!
Desert! Matcha Roll (Green Tea Cake & Red Bean paste)
After I finish my dinner, I start to take a stroll around the rest of World Showcase.  

View as I come out of the Japan Pavilion after dinner.
I make my way around and decide to hit the Mexico pavilion to ride El Rio del Tiempo to visit with Donald and friends.


Day of the Dead celebration in El Rio del Tiempo
I'm beginning to run out of steam at this point.  I visited Mouse Gear once again.  A shirt I had been looking for is still not in stock in my size, anywhere that I had seen it.  Oh well.




I head out to catch the bus back to Pop Century.  Realizing that the trip is coming to a close very soon.  I know that I've got to get packed up so I can get the bags checked into the Airline and my carry on stowed at the baggage services.


On my way through the shopping area at Pop, I decide to hit the Food Court and I pick up a big chocolate chip cookie and a Diet Coke and another bottle of water.


I munch on my cookie as I'm starting to pack things up.  Again, thanks to eBags packing cubes, things I didn't wear just get tossed back into my suitcase.  My dirty laundry is already in one section of my suitcase, so packing doesn't take long at all.  I settle in and watch Once Upon a Time on ABC.  I take the last muscle relaxer that I have and go off to bed.

Thanks for Reading!  Regards,



~Kipp




Lighter, Stronger & Faster for 2013!
Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon - January 7, 2012 FINISHED 3:48:49

5 comments:

  1. I love your posts. They remind me so much of the whole experience at the Weekend! Instead of taking a muscle relaxer, I chose to get a Marathon Massage at the Saratoga Springs Spa early Sunday morning. It was fabulous (hurt so good)! After that, I hopped a bus back to the Marathon race to cheer for WISHers. I can't wait until 2013! Thanks for being part of making 2012 awesome for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick! I didn't have nearly as many pictures as I normally have to go through after a trip, but it still took me a while to get everything down that I wanted to!

      I'll have to keep that in mind, I didn't know about the massage's.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great last day...So what did you think about the new interactive game at Magic Kingdom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it was then, I found that it was pretty fun to do. I can see in the future when they have the stats working on the cards that it'll present challenges.

      Apparently there will be different challenge levels you can pick so that it will be more age appropriate for whoever is playing it.

      It would have been nice to be able to keep the cards, but you won't be able to do that until it's fully live.

      Delete
  3. The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom activity sounds like fun - just wonder how much "noise pollution" there will be...

    I'm impressed at how smoothly your recovery from the race seems to have gone - maybe the walk around MK post-race was the right thing to do after all...

    ReplyDelete